Thursday, May 12, 2011

What? You skipped breakfast? You’re body is going into starvation mode!!!

This is the typical response I would get on the days I skip breakfast from family, friends and co-workers on the few days per week that I skip breakfast (or lunch).  Yes, I occasionally skip meals, but NO, my body is not going into “starvation mode.”  I am practicing Intermittent Fasting (IF), and it is a powerful weight-loss and health tool, that has helped me lose 40 lbs. in the past year.  In fact, IF is helping me not just maintain my 40 pound weight loss, it’s allowing me to lose even more weight/fat as I continue.  I’m now below the weight I was before my pregnancy and see myself getting down to the weight I was in high school when I was at my most fit and trim.

IF is not for the carb-addicted Average Joe.  I think in order to do IF safely and comfortable, you need to be “fat-adapted,” meaning your body needs to be proficient at using fat (i.e. body fat in the form of ketones) as a fuel source.  If you are sucking down carbs every 2-3 hours, that’s all your body knows how to burn, basically.  You are a glucose-burning machine.  I, however, am a fat burning machine.  IF just extends the time my body uses my own body fat as a fuel source.  Many bloggers who are smarter and more eloquent than I am have written about IF.  If I’ve peeked your interested, check out their posts on the topic:

Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting:

How To IF:

IF Books:
Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon
The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
The New Evolution Diet by Art De Vany
The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle by Bert Herring
The Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet

No comments:

Post a Comment